Leadership in Times of Uncertainty
The type of leadership in an organization can make or break the success of the organization or company.
Knowing how to choose which one ideal leadership style on each occasion is therefore crucial if you want to continue achieving goals.
If among your business and professional goals is to consolidate your leadership, the leadership of your organization in times of uncertainty, never before has it been so necessary to avoid causes of derailment and have new management tools that give you effective and desired results.
What is leadership derailment or derailed leadership?
Derailed leadership is defined as any form of leadership that fails to meet its intended level of achievement; or that despite reaching the level, it remains stagnant or decreases involuntarily.
Derailed leadership is what happens when there is critical errors in leadership that can lead to the downfall of the organization, not just the leader. A phenomenon by which brilliant professional careers and consolidated leadership are interrupted, whether accidentally or not, preventing the company, the leader from continuing to grow.
A good example of derailment would be the case of a leader who, although performing well, suffers a derailment due to lack of time and means to develop skills and competencies necessary to adapt to changing situations. Leaders, companies need adapt to the new demands of the market, to the new demands of their role within the organization they lead.
And in this aspect the clef of cultural, happens to have the tools adequate to face the new demands and characteristics of the market. Tools that facilitate the leader management and people development so that they work in a different way, with new values that generate new attitudes towards problems, and that really allow the use of new methodologies for managing and training people, with the ultimate goal that the leader can reinvent himself to face in a way effectively the new challenges and demands of the market.
Leadership derailment is something organizations need to be aware of, as it can end up being costly: it can affect the financial performance of the organizationas well as a work team morale.
When a leader goes off the rails, the organization bears the brunt of that impact, especially when the organization has invested significant time and resources in developing that leader's leadership skills. And particularly when the derailment affects the level of employees and work teams, causing the loss of motivation and commitment when they perceive that their leader has “failed” them.
It goes without saying that derailed leadership is something any leader and organization should avoid at all costs. But to do so, the first step is knowing how to identify which are the common causes of derailment and prevent it from happening.
How does uncertainty impact leadership?
The current market environment is very different from the one we lived in a couple of years ago. In recent years, we are witnessing a succession of “Black Swans”, which are generating a great impact on our lifestyle; and what point to a change of era, a change of social paradigm.
La demand that business practices change has never been greater than it is now: companies and their leaders need adopt a new way of doing things; de develop your own style of ideal and effective leadership that covers current and future challenges; that I can contribute new management solutions.
In general, when we reflect on what an organization or company is, we tend to focus on strategy, market leadership, economic results and value for shareholders. But all these data, although realistic and basic, can be technical and sterile in an environment of uncertainty and complexity such as the one we find ourselves in.
Organizations, companies are more than a business, more than a financial creation: they are an ecosystem that has an enormous impact on people, on other companies, on governments, on society as a whole.
The new environment requires new management principles that support effective leadership, a long-term success management take into consideration and analyze current and future challenges that companies and their leaders face with a constructive vision. And provide new approaches to growth that is economically feasible, more equitable, sustainable and effective. And this is where the purely economic approach can be sterile.
The companies that stand out in the uncertainty as extraordinary will be those whose leadership is centered on principles that define the “center of gravity” or the ideal state of leadership, that is, what you want to achieve through a philosophy of long-term value. In contrast to the rest of the companies governed by rules that define the limits of what is acceptable and in many cases limit the growth of what is possible.
Running a company that operates at the limits of what is passable rather than develop your potential, bridging the gap between what is merely passable and what is truly possible in people's performance and organizations, does not create an environment in which people are inspired to learn, to succeed, to grow and to excel, to strive for levels of excellence. It creates corporate cultures and leadership prone to derailment.
What causes or most critical problems can derail leadership in uncertainty?
La Lack of competencies is undoubtedly the most relevant indicator of the professional stagnation and of a probable leadership derailment.
Any sign of incompetence in a leader is something that needs to be addressed if the organization is to be prevented from failing. Being able to count on a accurate and scientific diagnosis of your skills, skills, knowledge and attitudes necessary to be successful in your leadership role in a complex environment such as the current one, with high levels of uncertainty; it is essential if you want to prevent the derailment of your leadership; and lead and manage change effectively.
The pandemic, the succession in recent years of "Black Swans" has generated a change in the market and with it, a new demand in the organizations and leadership styles of incorporate and adopt different angles and practices when doing things.
In a market subject to constant and rapid changes, companies and their leaders need develop new skills to help them envision the possibilities in uncertainty and take advantage of the positive side of the unknown. New skills, new competencies and habits that allow them to be able to develop and adapt with agility to the new demands of their role within the organization they lead; and be able to effectively meet changing demands.
A set of competencies that enables leaders face new challenges with agility, develop your own style of ideal and effective leadership that covers current and future challenges; and can provide new management solutions. And that they transform the leader into sustaining the growth of their organization and of values sustained in the development of people and well-being.
If you want to prevent causes of derailment, be sure to keep an eye out for these common causes so you can address them immediately and avoid derailing your leadership:
1. Lack of collaboration: This is a common cause of leadership derailment because personal ambitions are more important than the shared goal of a team. A leader must be able to foster #teamwork among the organization's employees.
2. Lack of qualities as a leader: This is one of the most common reasons why a leader can go off the rails: he cannot fulfill the role of leader. This lack of leadership quality can affect the culture of the company, which is why you also have incompetent team members.
3. Lack of training and development: There must be adequate training and development for the leaders of an organization. Your skills must be constantly developed to unleash talent and potential.
It is a proven fact that when the executive leadership and middle management have certain skills, the trust and commitment of the team towards the leaders rises in the organization or company, generating a transformation of the organization's culture, converting the potential of people and teams in high performance.
Effective leadership in an environment of uncertainty requires a business and entrepreneurial approach that enhances collaborative relationships and focuses on #developing new skills and behaviors, releasing and increasing the potential of leaders and teams; reducing interference or obstacles to potential.
Un leadership that encourages leaders and teams to develop leadership skills and trying new ways to achieve goals that drive their #performance to the maximum
4. Lack of clear vision: Without a proper executive strategy, leaders do not implement decisions that are consistent with organizational values.
5. Problems with interpersonal relationships: Difficulty developing good working relationships with others.
6. Difficulty creating and leading teams: difficulties in selecting and motivating a team. Poor selection of leaders starts from the very selection process. Knowing how to choose the right people to assign certain jobs and responsibilities is crucial to the success of a leader.
7. Difficulty, inability to change or adapt: the lack of adaptability, the resistance to change, to learn from mistakes and continue growing, developing. The most effective leaders are those who can adapt to changes in the external environment.
8. Failure to meet objectives: difficulties keeping promises and completing a job
9. Functional orientation too narrow: lack depth to manage outside current role, be adamant about rules
10 Inability to build trust: Trust is a key component in an organization. Team members must trust the leader
11 Poor performance: The main cause of derailment in leadership is the inability to manage time, prioritize tasks and achieve accountability for performance.
What is the impact of leadership derailment on the organization?
Leadership is a vital aspect of any organization; Without it, a company is set to fail. When a leadership derailment occurs, the organizational performance is undermined. This is where the impact of derailed leadership is most evident.
However, leadership derailment has other far-reaching impacts that you should also consider.
One of them is the decreased job satisfaction. When you have an incompetent leader, subordinates experience lower levels of job satisfaction. There is a possibility that your employees leave the company. This is an additional burden for the organization, as it must incur additional hiring costs.
The lower rate of job satisfaction is also closely related to a higher psychological stress. When your team is under stress, it can directly affect their job performance. You can expect your team to fall short if the leader shows incompetence.
The combination of a low rate of job satisfaction and increased psychological stress can create a toxic organizational culture. This can also manifest in the form of abusive supervision and exhibiting unprofessional behavior in the workplace.
How to address leadership derailment?
Now that you've identified the possible causes and impact of leadership derailment, it's time to look at how you can address them.
It is normal for people, leaders to make mistakes, but the impact of the leader's failure will not only affect his career, destroying a brilliant career; but it can be very significant for the organization, endangering its business project.
The good news is that derailment is something you can avoid, if you identify its causes in time.
The safest, most effective and predictable way to prevent and avoid leadership derailment is to have the effective leadership and professional development tools and methodology.
Executive level tools that they immediately give you an accurate diagnosis of the resources you have to navigate uncertainty. Tools to help you accurately identify the level of improvement you need to make to lead change and improve results, without subjectivity biases.
Management, executive and leadership development methodologies that provide you with a Management Development Plan, an improvement plan, a "tailor-made" roadmap with a focus on the crucially important improvements for your leadership, and that help you:
1. Train, manage blocking and learn more about your leadership style. Leaders need objective and reliable tools that provide them with an individual scientific diagnosis of their leadership profile, their strengths and weaknesses, their talents and the skills gap or areas for improvement that need to be worked on. Working on your self-awareness and improvement gap as a leader will benefit the organization in the long run.
2. Develop strategies to improve personal motivation and work teams and combat negative attitudes, negative personality traits that explain ineffective results in your leadership and the results of your teams.
3. Encourage effective communication within the organization, promote transparency in every business decision. Achieving a positive result in your results and the results of the people you work with, work teams and other leaders.
3. Have the necessary tools to know how to identify future leaders among your teams, with the appropriate personality traits, avoiding time and financial losses in the selection process.
4. Develop (empower) employees to be more responsible, unleash their potential, fostering individual responsibility, awareness of their work in the results of the organization and achieve high performance .
5. Train future leaders. Organizations should always invest in formal training for leaders so that they can rise to the demands of their roles.
Need help assessing whether you're leading in the right direction and avoiding derailers in your leadership?
incluye una brief description of your personal and business situation and leadership expectations and in less than 24 hours you will have my answer suggesting customized solutions" of the current needs of your position and your company in the current market environment.